Friday, November 9, 2007

Lucy's doll quilt


A few years ago, my two cousins and I cleaned out my Aunt's house.
She was going into a nursing home with Alzheimer's and since she didn't
have any children, the task fell to us. We discovered lots of old family
treasures. Luckily a few years back we spent an afternoon with Aunt
Marcia going through old family photos and she identified them and
we created a rough family tree. It goes back to the early 1800s.


There is a little piece of paper pinned to the back of this sweet
treasure that says "Lucy's quilt." It is made of satin and taffeta.
And since it is only 15" square we figured it was a doll quilt.
Aunt Marcia told us that Lucy died when she was nine-years-old.
Her Great Uncle Carl Loy was my Aunt's cousin. That would put
her somewhere in the late 1800s. They lived in New Castle, PA,
(near Pittsburgh)

I had it appraised and I was amazed at how much it was worth.

I have more antique quilts from the same closet, I'll save for
another post.

Until next time...
Susie

4 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a beautiful doll quilt! And so wonderful to have the history! I can't wait to see what other treasures you have!

*karendianne. said...

Goodness this is a treasure beyond measure. What to say?

Thank you for sharing!

Helen in the UK said...

How fantastic to have an old family quilt and know some of its history and who its maker was :)

Cathi said...

Gorgeous doll's quilt -- and to know some of its history is such a bonus! Can't wait to see some of the other treasures you found.