Friday, December 7, 2007

OK, I'm doin' the Carolina Crossroads mystery

Well, no one had to twist my arm!
It is Bonnie Hunter's mystery on Quiltville.com

I worked on it last night and this morning, and have half of the
rail blocks done. It does go fast.

I have all the blocks done for another a black, white and red
top using Jackie Robinson's Strip & Slash pattern (see
August 22 post)and I had lots left over so....

...since we are supposed to use our stash (which is hard
for me BTW! What if I need these exact fabrics
someday!!!???) I am being very disciplined and
JUST USING MY STASH!!!

I have another confession to make. Sometimes when I am
cutting strips or squares for scrap quilts, when I come across
a whole, uncut FQ, I don't cut it!!! You see, I have all my
fabrics grouped by color. There are large 1-3 yard pieces
mixed in with FQs or smaller. When I want to give a FQ
or use FQs for a specific quilt I have to unfold each piece
to find one. So as I come across whole FQs I am
separating them in a separate bin. So is this a
justification for not using them or what!!??

There should be a twelve step program for scrap quilters!

Until next time...
Susie

5 comments:

ForestJane said...

I'm cruising the blogs on the Quiltville mystery bloglist, seeing what people are up to.

I'm bad about my FQ too - always use the ones you've cut into first... because what happens if you need a BIG piece and it's goooone?

And I'm bad about 'saving' the prettiest ones, thinking, "Oh, don't use that in the mystery, when you don't know what the final quilt will look like."

Then when I finish, I'll think, oh, this is nice, wish I'd used the better fabric.

swooze said...

Great choices. A red, black and white quilt on my to do list.

Vicki W said...

Perfect color combo in my opinion!

Margeeth said...

I know what you mean about not using fat quarters, I do exactly the same.
It has its advantages too, I used up a lot of scraps this way and even had a lot of fabrics of which I don't have anything left (shiver, I might need that fabric...), so my quilts will look different in the future.

Marilyn Robertson said...

I guess I am the opposite - I have a hard time cutting into yardage. What if I need that strip I am cutting off of the end for a border and I am 2 2/2" too short? I don't seem to have as hard of a time cutting into the fat quarters.